Wednesday, December 22, 2010

73. She

Genre: Drama
Characters:  Wilson, Ramone
Prompt: 73. She
Word Count: 841
Rating: PG
Type: series
Summary: Wilson and Ramone have a talk.
Warnings: Short, kind of lame pics
** I just wanted to put up something, at least get the dust off of this story!
bueno= good , no puedo= I can't, que paso= what's up



Wilson sat blankly staring at the thin ring of condensation caused by his ice cold glass. He hadn’t touched it, the tall glass of beer filled to the rim. He was too busy thinking about the reason he was here and what he had to say. Three day. Three days before, hours, minutes, even three seconds before that kiss there would have been a completely different reason behind this meeting. He looked up at the door as it swung open, watching Ramone greet the bartenders with a smile. The smile he used to seduce each woman he encountered, each woman he had to have.

His slow strides to the bar stool irritated Will further. He clenched his teeth as he watched Ramone drum his fingers on the bar. Images of Ramone touching her with those hands enraged him, brought a sick feeling to his stomach, an aching in his chest. “Que Paso?” Ramone greeted, snatching his own beer bottle from the bar, “You wanted to talk?” He faced Will with a worry-free expression. “Yeah,” Will rubbed at the tight muscles in his neck, “about Cian…” He trailed off as he tried to formulate the right way to say it. Ramone had been his friend since his freshmen year of college but this dance wasn’t their first. They’d had their eyes on the same woman once before. Will respectfully bowed out, withholding the displeasure of seeing the pair together and carried on with his studies like a good friend.


He allowed that memory to fade quickly as he continued, “I had every intention of backing away from her when I saw you at her apartment but I can’t now. I won’t. She has my heart and I’m not going to stop trying to win hers.”
Ramone smiled. He felt challenged. Felt as if he’d just been asked to race around the world for a prize. The prize being a woman who had somehow managed to capture his attention in a way no woman ever had. “Well then,” He spoke through his smile, “that makes two of us.”
“This isn’t a game, Ramone.” Wilson belted.
“Bueno! Cause I’m not playing.” Ramone retorted. “Right now her focus is this someone who means a lot, you, but something within me longs for her, causes an aching in my body for her. Normally, I’d try to avoid stepping on your toes but, no peudo, Will. I can’t do that this time.”
“Can’t or won’t?” Wilson asked flatly.
“Both.” Ramone seemed reluctant to answer. “People will stare at the two of you. Call you all kinds of names and make shitty comments about her being black with a white man. That’s too much for her, Will! She can’t handle that! She needs someone who looks like her. Someone who can walk down the street and kiss her, hug her, hold her hand without the world staring at her!”
“What she needs,” Will’s anger beamed through his eyes, “is someone who will love her through the comments, and stares. Someone who loves her for being the great person she is and not just because of her skin color. Love her because she is their only and not just the flavor of the week.”


Ramone laughed, “Flavor of the week…” He repeated shaking his head. “Will, I understand that you have history with her and that you’ve had more time to fall for her but think about it. If things were like that between the two of you, it would have happened by now! Even if she did get over the fear of what people might think, she’d still have to deal with how her family might handle it. If you care about her like you say, you’d want it to be as easy as possible for her. Accept her being with someone that looks like her.”  



“You mean like you?” Wilson nodded, shaking his head in agreement. A silent acceptance to this battle placed before him. Pulling through his pocket he retrieved a twenty dollar bill, enough for his untouched drink and a more than generous tip. A quick glance at Ramone, he blinked back the wave of anger that washed over him, the urge to snatch him from the bar stool by his neck and show him just how serious he was. Dropping the crisp bill down on the counter he spoke as calm as possible, “I mean what I said. Hurt her ...and I will hurt you.” Without allowing him to reply, Wilson pushed through the bar door with extreme force, not caring if he cracked the glass, hit someone with it, or damaged it in any other way. All that mattered was Cian, and the kiss that was now haunting him and deepening his feelings by the second.

A war with someone he considered a good friend was one road he could do without traveling down. A road that could possibly lead him into a fiery crash, twisted metal, broken and destroyed to the point of no return. If this was the way it had to be, he was ready and willing to take that chance. In his eyes, she was more than worth it.

10 comments:

S.B. said...

oh god your shots are GORGEOUS!! I can't stop staring at them! The lighting, the angles, just perfect!

Right now I'm not liking Ramone much. I can understand he wants the same woman, but he makes it sound like some game. I can also understand his objections. Still, he's arrogant and snarky about it. That's the kind of conversation a woman needs to overhear.

It's not clear where Cian's heart is yet (maybe not clear to her either). I hope she sees Ramone under a variety of circumstances before she makes up her mind.

Wonderful, evocative, emotionally gripping writing. You sure can write!

Anonymous said...

Go, Will!!!! Go get her! Make her see that love is all that matters!

I was SO sure Ramone would bow out in honor of their friendship - I guess Wil learned tonight that Ramone isn't the friend he thought he was.

I have to wonder if he said those things about color just to back Wil off, or if he really thinks that way.

Ugh! I'm so mad at Ramone!!!

Drive, Wil. Drive to Cian and tell her what you told Ramone!

(and PLEASE let that car crash analogy be just that, and not a dark foreshadowing!!! YIKES!)

Qui. said...

S.B: Your comment made me blush! Thank you! Thank you!

Yeah... Ramone hasn't gotten too much screen time so his personality has not had a chance to shine through be this is a small piece of it. He does make good points but he is treating it as if he has already won. If he could have been a fly on the wall when that kiss happened, he wouldn't be so confident.

You're right, Cian has no clue where she wants to go or what she wants to do as far as these men go. Ramone would be the easy way out. Someone her father would like but then there is Will, a man who only has to place his hand on her back and it causes chills. Who does small things and it brings her great joy! He was and is a friend first which is VERY important when it comes to romantic interests.

Thank you again! I hope she gets to see Ramone's true colors too!

Qui. said...

Jilly! Ramone is very smooth. Slick and sharp with verbal weapons. I'm sure he said those things because he could use them against Will. This is the same man who told Cian not to worry about those things if she really care about that "someone that means a lot". He has his eye on the grand prize and will do whatever it takes to get closer to the finish line.

Oh no, it is an analogy. At the end of the road, end of this battle, someone will lose and there will be more than a bruised ego that needs healing! Someone will be out the woman they both want and their friendship may be beyond repair!

Valpre said...

Right now, I don't like Ramone that much. How dare he play the race card, that's not fair...using Cian's fears to deflect Will's interests. That's not kosher. Not fair!

Great update. Glad Will's laid down the law, so to speak, and he's not backing off. I'm with Jill, he must get into that car and chase after her like demons are after his soul or something. Okay, maybe a little bad analogy, but I hope you get what I meant.

Glad to see an update :)

Qui. said...

LOL I get it Val! Thank you for helping me with this one!

That definitely wasn't fair for him to use! Compared to Ramone, Will is calm, chilled, very laid back. For him to see red in Ramone's direction, he had to have struck a nerve! Will has to crank up the volume now! He has to bring out some of that aggression and pursued Cian to open up and put the fears behind her.

Thank you again!

Aussie Karima said...

~ Wait,a minute, did I just hear Ramone say,what I think he said,to his best friend!!!!!
~ Dirty pool that,I guess their friendship is about to be tested to the limit,this time,I think the outcome will ruin it!
~ I can not believe that Ramone played THAT hand to Will!
~ Will knows the deep issues there,for Cian,& if he was hoping that it would make him back down,he has anouther thing coming!
~ If only Cian was the fly on the wall,her choice would be clear,but at this time she does not even know what she wants!
~ Loved it Qui, I'm glad you dusted this one off,for us to read!Thanks!(",)

Qui. said...

You heard correctly my dear Karima! Ramone really went there! When it comes to matters of the heart, it's a fair game in Ramone's eyes. He had that talk with Cian so he knows where she stands on the whole interracial dating thing. He has already used it to his advantage and there is a lot more where that came from!

You're right. If she was a fly on the wall Ramone would have gotten the tongue lashing of his life!

Thanks you Karima!!

DaijahV said...

You go Will...I officially dislike Ramone...though I haven't yet decided if he is a goodie or a baddie but I am thinking playboy which makes him a baddie and not someone I want around Cian.

Unknown said...

OOOOOO my blood is just boiling right now. I'd like to just reach my hand right into my computer screen and just smack the taste out of Ramone's mouth! What a bastard. I knew he was too good to be true from the start...my instincts told me that much, glad they were right!

Though I can't stand him even more now, I like how you have incorporated him playing the 'color' card on Cian hopefully she realizes just how much of a bastard he is before it's too late.

I hope that Wil won't back off, he really loves Cian, and he shouldn't listen to Ramone, love sometimes cannot be rushed with the situation is a fragile as it is for Cian.

Wonderful prompt!