Thursday, April 28, 2011

5. Differences



For it to be early fall, the weather was a lot warm than expected. The sun beamed down from its highest point bringing with it hot rays that made it feel more like summer.
Other than a slight breeze and a few trees that housed multicolored leaves of yellow and green, there was no sign of a season change. Bianca and Daniel took advantage of the weather as they strolled down the block toward a popular hangout not too far from campus. Despite Bianca’s protest and request to go to the beach for private time, they ended up on Lyndhurst St, walking side by side toward the always crowded pizza shop. Stepping over a large crack in the pavement, Bianca briefly lost her balance and out of reflex grabbed onto Danny’s hand. “Are you ok?” He helped her back to her feet but quickly pulled his hand away.
Bianca noticed his haste to put a small gap between them. “You have a problem with holding my hand Danny?” She stopped in her tracks with no intention of going any further until she had an answer. With a sharp release from his nose he replied with an annoyed tone, “No Bianca. Can we go?”
“Then why were you so quick to let go of my hand?”
“I didn’t! I just let go.”




“Yes you did! You pulled your hand away from me like I have some kind of disease or something!”
“Bianca,” He ran his hand across his face and pinched the bridge of his nose. He was in no mood for her petty bullshit but knew she’d drag it out until he told her she was right but today she wouldn’t get her way. “Are we really going to argue about this right now? It’s not that serious!” He laughed through his frustration.
“Ok, well then hold my hand Danny.” She smirked and held her hand out for him to grasp it and lead her to their destination. Instead, Daniel exhaled again and crossed his arms. “Why are you being so childish?”
“I’m being childish because I want you to hold my hand?”
“You’re being childish because you’re making a big deal out of nothing!”
“If it’s nothing to you Danny, hold my hand! That’s all I’m asking!” She retorted with her hand still lingering in the space between them. The two held their ground for a few intense seconds, neither wanting to make the first move and determined not to give in to the other.




“So much for trying!” Bianca dropped her arm to her side and brushed by Daniel like a raging gust of wind, yanking her arm away when he barely tried to stop her. Instead of following her, chasing her down and begging her to forgive him, he continued on his path into the pizza shop and never looked back.

Livid over her decision to give him another undeserved chance, she kept her eyes focused on her feet, commanding them to keep going until she reached her dorm. 



The moment she looked up she crashed into a tall man causing him to drop the cup of piping hot coffee that was in his hand. “I’m so sorry!” She looked up into the strangest brown eyes she’d ever seen. They sparkled like diamonds with an odd green tint to them that seemed to bright as his smile reached them. “Don’t be! That was a sign that I really don’t need it anyway.” He quickly checked his clothes for any traces of the spilled coffee. 



The moment she looked up she crashed into a tall man causing him to drop the cup of piping hot coffee that was in his hand. “I’m so sorry!” She looked up into the strangest brown eyes she’d ever seen. They sparkled like diamonds with an odd green tint to them that seemed to bright as his smile reached them. “Don’t be! That was a sign that I really don’t need it anyway.” He quickly checked his clothes for any traces of the spilled coffee. Bianca squinted, recognizing his voice, “Do you have some kind of radar or something?” Her question seemed to come out of left field and with just as much attitude as before. “How is it every time I get into a fight with my boyfriend you come swooping in with your Captain Save Em’ cape and rescue the damsel in distress?” She placed her hands on her hip and tapped her foot against the pavement impatiently. The man laughed folding his arms across his chest, “You bumped into me and saved me from substituting a real lunch with a cup of caffeine I really didn’t need in the first place. I’d say you’re the one wearing a cape.” He retorted with a sly smirk. Bianca looked him over in silence, taking in each detail she’d missed the night before last. She was right about his height and definitely his voice; both in which gave her chills that she discreetly reacted from as she stood before him. She admired the flawlessness of his skin and the perfect teeth that were nearly blinding her as he noticed her staring. She lowered her eyes quickly with a nervous laugh. “I-I’m sorry! Here,” She pulled her wallet from her purse but Rodney pushed her hand away as she handed him a crisp five dollar bill to replace his beverage. “No, that’s not necessary!”
“Please! After the way you helped me the other night, the least I can do is replace a cup of coffee!”




Rodney paused and considered her offer for a brief minute staring back with the same admiration. The glimpse of her he had in his mind from the other night did her no justice and quickly vanished into the breeze the moment she returned his smile. “If you really want to repay me,” He shoved his hands into his pockets and shot her knee weakening smile, “let me buy you lunch.”
“How is that repaying you?” She tilted her head to the side.
“You’re repaying me with your company.” He said slyly.
“I have a boyfriend.”
“And I have about thirty-five minutes.” He gave a quick glance to his wrist watch, returning his hand to his pocket.
Bianca reluctantly smiled in agreement, walking ahead of him as he insisted with a simple hand gesture. 




“So,” Rodney began as he tucked Bianca’s chair in and joined her on the other side of the table, “I made the mistake of not asking you your name before. May I have the pleasure now?” He clasped his hands together neatly on top of the table.
Bianca snorted, adjusting her position on the chair with her chin resting on her hand, “What’s in a name?” She raised an eyebrow with her question awaiting something foolish, childish, and along the lines of  ‘I asked you first’.
“What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet, but it's your name I'd love to speak.” He ended with another one of those smiles that widened with Bianca’s shocked expression. “You know Shakespeare.” She said simply looking down at the table.
“You’re surprised by that?”
“Most men don’t know anything pass the opening line.”
“I’m not most men.”
Bianca chuckled lightly meeting his gaze once again. “Danny said the same thing.” She mumbled under her breath.
“I take it Danny is your reason why you’ve lost your faith in men.” He unexpectedly answered moving further into the table.
“I haven’t lost my faith I just see the male species for what they are.”
“And that would be?” He asked just as quickly as she answered.
“Post pubescent boys with two heads and the tendency to think more with the one that has no brain.”   
“Ouch!” Rodney laughed drumming his finger on the table lightly before bringing them together neatly as he had before.
“That’s it?” Bianca chuckled. “No snappy come back? Defense argument?”




Rodney shook his head slowly with his eyes set on hers. Despite her previous answer he could sense her anger; bitterness towards all men for this one man’s mistakes. “You’re right. I cannot and will not defend someone when I know they’re at fault but I will tell you this, all of us are not alike.”
“Pffft!” Bianca hissed with a roll of her eyes.
Seeing her reaction as a challenge, Rodney shifted on his chair, preparing for an in-depth conversation he knew he’d enjoy. “Let’s discuss this, shall we?” He shifted again making himself more comfortable, “How are all men the same?”
“For one,” Bianca sat up confidently, “there is the sex thing.”
“Both genders think about sex equally.” Rodney interjected before she could complete her thought.
“Men think about sex and don’t care about who it’s with or where things go afterwards. With us,” She placed her hand against her chest, “its love and sex or sex and emotions. There are very few of us who can engage in sexual activity without the interference of one of the two.”
“We’re the same way. Men form emotional attachments through sex as well. Some choose not to display them.”
“You don’t display emotions because you can’t.”
“Not true but that is where we differ.”
Bianca smirked, tossing her hair over her shoulder absently, “I’m still having a hard time seeing a difference.”
“The other night, I watched you storm out of that bar and wander out into the dark streets on your own while your Danny stayed inside and enjoyed the game. First difference, I don’t know you but I came after you to ensure your safety because that’s what men like me do. Today, you said the two of you had another fight. Second difference,” He looked around the room then back to Bianca, “where is he now? A better question, what was your spat over that he allowed you to walk away without giving chase?”
Bianca shrugged, “Him not wanting to hold my hand.” She hesitated for a minute releasing a deep breath with the basic details of their argument. She was surprised when Rodney’s response was a simple shrug with a knowing expression. 




“You understand what I mean?” She tuned back into the conversation just in time for a small recap. “A man’s display of love and emotions is a sign of weakness in the eyes of the world but it doesn’t make him less of a man to hold the hand of the woman he loves. If that simple gesture is too much for him, then you need to find yourself a new man or sit back and let one find you.” He said flatly sitting back in his chair. He was right. Just like Santino was right. The argument they’d had was minor and very petty but the fact that he’d responded to an act of affection in that matter spoke volumes. Bianca rubbed the back of her neck; her muscles were aching from tension and stress. Tension and stress that could easily be relieved with the two simple words she should have told Danny long ago.
“You’re almost out of time.” She pointed to his wrist watch then the untouched menu sitting on the edge of the table.
He glanced at it then returned his eyes to hers with a smile, “I can make time.



**Thank you Freedom and Daijah for being my eyes! 

16 comments:

Aussie Karima said...

~ I am so glad these two ran into each other,I was hoping they would!
~ Now they know each others names!Yeah!
~ I had to laugh at her description of men! & how they think!lol!
~ Short & sweet,sorry but I loved it,More,pretty please!(",)

Valpre said...

Rodney is a hottie! For a second there I thought it was Zaelum and I had to look again. Meouw...Hottie, did I say Hottie? And he's like a expensive glass of wine, so mature!

I love, love, how they keep bumping into each other, and it's always through some BS Danny did. If this isn't a sign, I don't know what is.

Bianca needs to dump Danny boy, and get herself a sip from that fine glass of wine with the "strangest brown eyes" she's ever seen. It's got her name on it. Yes, Bianca, go on and drink it, I know you want to :)

I can't wait to see how the rest of the lunch unfolds.

Loved that shot of them with the buildings in the background, they made such a beautiful backdrop.

Hosea said...

How you describe things in your story takes my breathe away...wow just...wow

Rodney...HE CAN GET IT!!! But seriously, I love his smooth demeanor, how he views things, just everything about him so far is a plus.

Danny...SMH!!! He is the perfect description of how little boys act. Oh one day Danny you will learn, one day...

Bianca...I'm actually glad she held her ground in the "petty" argument between her and Danny. I hope she can really break it off with him this time.

LOVE IT QUI!!

Mizzgin03 said...

Rodney, where have you been all my life? LOL seriously, I loved this, it was all very honest and true to life. I write spoken word poetry so any man that can quote Shakespeare can get it! Seriously, I really like the fact that they're meeting in conjunction with Danny's crappy behavior. It serves two purposes: one, Bianca gets to release her anger as soon as it happens. Two, Rodney is an example of a good man (at least he is right now lol) so it helps her not be bitter towards the whole gender. Can't wait to see what happens with these two :)

S.B. said...

This is just wonderful. Danny is a jerk. He turned her complaint and question into some sort of referendum on her instead of acting like he even cared that he hurt her feelings. I think Rodney was right to call Bianca on some of her statements about men, though. She's dangerously close to being bitter and unfair.

So far Rodney seems perfect!

Beautiful, beautiful setting! It looks just like a sunny day on a city street!

Sweetdreams_25 said...

haha i love Val's comparision of Rodney...he is definitely like a glass of wine!
why can't i find a man like that shoot! lol
anyway, once again you've nailed it with your writing! im gonna take some lessons from you. and you always have such pretty sets!
Bianca can do better, Danny and even all that! Bump what daddy says. all he had to do what hold her hand. those two are too stubborn to be together. someone has to give lol.
as good as this lunch is going i got a feeling buster is going to see Bi with Rodney and all hells gonna break lose.

Anonymous said...

He's given her the suggestion of sitting back and letting a new man find her, hopefully him.

Qui. said...

Karima, It's a really good thing they ran into each since this meeting was beneficial for both. Bianca heard things from a male POV and Rodney got to see her again. She knows his name but he does not yet know hers .
LOL@her description. She is angry even though she said she isn't and I doubt any of us was fooled by that!
More soon
Thank you Karima!

Qui. said...

Val, LOL "a expensive glass of wine"! I love that! His age definitely shows when he speaks and in his actions. He is already showing signs of being the type of man she isn't used to. Look at the small gestures. He pulls out her chair and opens doors. I'd definitely take a sip too!
She does need to let go of Danny and the second she realizes that she doesn't HAVE to be with Danny, her world will be so much better.
The next time we see him won't be lunch unfortunately BUT it will be interesting. I hope he everyone is ready because it might be a little mind blowing.

Thank you! I obsesse over the way things look.

Qui. said...

Nicky, Awww that made me blush!! Thank you!

I laughed so hard when I read this! He could get it in my eyes too!
Danny is in fact a little boy and the best part about this is, he is going to mess up to the point of no return and when he does, Rodney will be there to help Bianca through it. His childish ways will push her away. The best thing he will ever do for her!

Breaking it off may not be so easy just yet. Let's hope Rodney can give her good reason to!

Qui. said...

Mizzgin, LOL Now THAT is a question I'd like the answer to myself! You're so right about that! Their meetings at times like this serves two purposes and will actually be good for Bianca. :) Thank you!

Qui. said...

SB, You're so right about that! He saw/sees where Bianca is headed and may have very well stopped her before she could enter that place of hate and bitterness. Maybe he'll change her views through actions.

Thank you!!

Qui. said...

Sweet Dee, Yeah she really picked the perfect comparison didn't she? He is most definitely like a bottle of finely aged wine! I wish I could too honey!! Bianca can do better and actually will when she gets over this desire to please her father. Good eye! He won't see Bianca but... ;)

Thank you!

Qui. said...

Seaweedy, Yes Yes YES! Hopefully it is him!!

Jillyson said...

I want a Rodney!!!!

Qui. said...

lol me too!